Are y’all ready for the best chicken taquitos you’ve ever had? No exaggeration there – you won’t find better! Bear with me with my picture taking “skills,” please. I’m embarrassingly bad, but I promise the food tastes a heck of a lot better than my abilities to show it! Yikes Also, my last post was 8 months ago. I don’t want to focus on the bad, but I’m sorry that I’ve neglected you! I have come to share some amazing recipes with you again and hope you’ll enjoy them!
So I found this amazing recipe over at seededatthetable.com, which they’ve actually adapted from ourbestbites.com. I’VE adapted it to my own tastes and let me tell you, not a SINGLE person will turn these bad boys down! Even the kids love it. Yes, you heard me, KIDS LOVE THESE TAQUITOS!
Ok, as you can tell, I am very excited about these guys. They’re just so good!
- 1 large skinless, de-boned chicken breast
- ¼ cup red salsa (I like Tostito’s medium chunky salsa)
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp sliced green onions
- 1 cup shredded Mexican blend cheese
- small corn tortillas
- kosher salt
- cooking spray
INSTRUCTIONS FOR CHICKEN
- Clean your chicken by running it under water for a little bit, bring it to your chicken only cutting board, and cut away any fat pieces
- Place the chicken in a pot and add cold water to the pot until it’s about halfway full
- Add ½ tsp salt to water, then cook for 15 minutes
- Take chicken out with tongs and place on a clean surface and shred it with one hand holding the chicken down with your tongs and a fork in the other hand actually doing the shredding
Now it’s time to get started on the rest of the meal!
INSTRUCTIONS FOR TAQUITO FILLING
- In a large bowl, add 3 ounces of softened cream cheese, ¼ cup red salsa, 2 tbsp fresh lime juice, ½ tsp each of: ground cumin, chili powder, onion powder, and garlic powder and stir until it’s combined well
- Stir in the green onions
- Stir in the chicken and 1 cup of cheese
INSTRUCTIONS FOR ASSEMBLING TAQUITOS
Now it’s the easy part: putting it all together!
- On two pieces of paper towels, add 2 small corn tortillas in the center
- Wrap them up nice and tight
- Place in microwave for 30 seconds. BE CAREFUL, IT’S HOT!
- Carefully take out from microwave and place on clean surface
- Spoon about 2-3 tablespoons of the chicken mixture onto the lower third of a tortilla
- Roll the tortilla tightly and stick two toothpicks on either side of the tortilla
- Place on a large cooking tray that is covered in tin foil
- Once you’ve rolled all of your tortillas up, spray them all with cooking spray and sprinkle kosher salt on each. Don’t get too crazy with the salt!
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown
Here is a picture of them in all of their glory. It’s actually how I typically eat them because they’re so good on their own, but I thought I would spice them up today with the guac and sour cream. Oh, and the cheese! Let’s not forget about the yummy cheese!
And if that’s not spicy enough, you could add some refried beans and chips with your taquitos. I mean, if you REALLY want to indulge.