Hey Guys! I know, I know, I’m just the worst. My last post was in January and it’s already the end of the year now, trying to pick up where I left off. Who does that? Me!
I do apologize. School has been insane. I’m about finished with this semester – I’ve only got 1 1/2 months left, and then I take a two month vacation, and then it’s my LAST semester! Woo hoo!! I’m so excited! What am I going to do with all of that free time?!
Since it’s been so difficult for me to add cooking to my list of responsible adult things to do while in school (and working full time…gotta get as much sympathy as I can here), I haven’t been eating well. In fact, oh my gosh, I’ve been eating so poorly lately. I’ve gained quite a bit of weight, my skin hasn’t been doing so hot, I don’t feel great, and my credit card is HURTING from how much fast food I’ve put on it! I’m so embarrassed. BUT I am getting back into the swing of things now. Scott and I just moved to an awesome apartment in an awesome part of town, which has an awesome gym! I attempted that and since I’m so out of shape right now, I couldn’t hang. I want to start cleaning up my diet first at least, taking baby steps, and then I’ll be able to respect myself a little more and get to the physical work!
So here we are, let’s start off with a DELICIOUS healthy chicken pot pie! Yes, healthy and delicious can co-exist. I kid you not, you guys, this is both tasty and good for you. I don’t get how, but it just works. So many recipes out there call for cream of chicken and I’m like WHAT? But you don’t even need it. All you need to do is to thicken up the sauce with some flour and oh my gosh, voila! It gives it that consistency you’re looking for. Wow…knowing that you can eat this dish and not feel guilty afterwards is huge for me. Let’s go!
- One large boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped medium yellow onion
- 3/4 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- 1/2 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
- 3 tbsp flour
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Frozen pie crust
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake chicken 30 minutes or until thermometer says it’s reached 160 degrees. Cool and chop into little pieces.
- Heat oil in a deep skillet on medium heat, adding garlic and onion, cooking for 2-3 minutes or until tender.
- Stir in frozen mixed vegetables and cook for 3 minutes or until hot.
- In a bowl, whisk together broth, milk, flour, salt and pepper and add to vegetable mixture.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, and simmer for 3 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Stir in chicken and mix it all up.
- Spoon mixture into greased individual baking dishes.
- Place pie crust on top of each baking dish, tearing off pieces to fit, crimping edges to seal. Cut a few slits in crusts to vent.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes or until browned.